From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:50:02 +0200
Sharon asks some very good questions.
I do not think that the issue of monetary compensation has all that much to
do with the certification requirements.  Most professions, as they grow and
develop, adapt stricter certification requirements.  I can say this about
physical therapy, my "other" profession, and only assume it is true for many
other professions. When physical therapy became a university degree program
here in Israel about 18 years ago, (as opposed to it's previous certificate
program), the increase in salary was very small, only symbolic.
I wonder how much of LC's low monetary  compensation has to do with it being
a WOMEN's profession, regardless of level of training.   The fact that some
"women's" professions (nurses, school teachers) achieved somewhat  higher
salaries may have to do more with numbers of people in the profession and a
strong professional organization to back them, as well as the profession
being percieved as indespensible.  I remeber in my old PT days talking about
this at length with my colleagues in the hospital; the nurses got raises
because they were indespensible.  We, the PT's were not.
Lactation Consulting has yet a very long way to go.

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel