From:
Joyce Blangiardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:38:58 -0500
Jessica,
To add to Jill's comments when she wrote:
+AD4-It is always hard to keep your mouth shut when people who are close to
+AD4-you seem to reject the things that seem most important to you.......

When we feel so passionate about our work, it may be difficult to remember
that we are far more than our work.  When a friend or relative appears to be
rejecting that which we feel is so important, they are saying far more about
themselves and where they are at, than they are saying about us.  Maybe our
personal relationship with them sets us up to be too attached to the
outcome.  And to take it too personally.  You said you felt you'd failed as
a role model.  Ah, but you haven't.  Your role modeling is fine.  She may
simply NOT be ready to model her behavior off of yours just yet.

Jill went on to say:
+AD4-You have a lot of influence, especially on those who appear to reject you.

To that, I'd add that salespeople often say that customers have to say NO
before they can get to YES.  Especially on big ticket (read as VERY
IMPORTANT) items.  To babies BFing is a big ticket item.

Based on experience, for me it helps to remember:
This person knows me first as a friend, relative, or neighbor.
Hence, they know me as a person.
They haven't seen me yet as a professional.
They may need time to acknowledge my professionalism or appreciate the depth
of my knowledge base.
A stranger referred to me for professional services comes believing I have
some degree of expertise in my work.
There is a built in credibility based on the referral source.
They may discover who I am as a person through their encounter with me, but
this is not the focus of the encounter.
Friends, neighbors, and relatives may need time to make the leap from seeing
you as YOU to appreciating your expertise.
Be patient with it though, for even once they make the leap, they are still
walking in different shoes......and they may not make the choice we would
make for ourselves and our babies.
Finally, I've also seen that apparent rejecters may ultimately cite you to
others as an expert but continue to have difficulty communicating this
acceptance and or appreciation of help to you personally.

Joyce Blangiardo RN, LCCE, FACCE, IBCLC
on Long Island, NY at the peak of foliage where the colors are magnificent
today
LamazeLady+AEA-msn.com