From:
Kimberly Elms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 13:41:12 -0700
SNIP>>>
> I grew up an only child in the States, and I never had the chicken pox.
> This summer the three of us came down with it(my husband came down with
> housework-pox).  Aside from having a   fever for several days (I did take
> paracetemol), I am worried about any birth defects that could be caused by
> the virus.  I have read very inconclusive excerpts in books, and I would
> like to know what the chances of a serious problem are.  Obviously, my
> doctor has been made aware of the situation, but it's still a bit scary.
> There is no vaccine available here in Israel, so I couldn't run to the
> hospital and say "help! I'm pregnant and have been exposed to the chicken
> pox"; also, at that point I wasn't even sure I was pregnant.
>
> Nofia

Dear Nofia,
I dug into my files of "stuff I know I'll use someday", and found
nothing that mentions "housework-pox".  Did you develop a rash with the
fever?  I don't know if there is a problem paracetmol, perhaps someone
else out there knows.  The information I have is from the Centers for
Disease Control report on the varicella vaccine.  Although it
contraindicates the vaccine for pregnant women, it does state:
        "There is no information available concerning the risk to a fetus if a
pregnant        woman is inadvertently given varicella vaccine.  However, the
risk of of              congenital varicella syndrome following varicella disease
is small, so the risk   of congenital anomalies following vaccination
with attenuated varicella is very       small."
I know this is not specific to your case, so I'd be happy to keep
looking for more information if you'd like.  Contact me privately and I
will forward it to you.

Kimberly Elms
Arizona State University