From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:25:38 -0600
Someone asked about "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

I have a review copy of the cook, which the author's publisher sent me.  I haven't read it, only flipped through it.  That said, my only comment is that is sure seems to have a lot of logs and charts.  For example, there is a whole chapter on "create your own sleep log".  Another page has a chart of "average # of daytime and nightime sleep hours, naps from ages newborn to 5 years".  Another chapter is "Create your personal sleep plan".  Then there is a "ten-day sleep log".

In my experience, just watching babies cues, and HIDING the clock (seriously!  get rid of the clock by the bed), were the best solution.

But I suppose the person who is looking for a book to tell them what to do, also wants these kinds of detailed instructions.

I wouldn't be able to write and sell many books that only said "watch their cues, co-sleep, and get rid of the clocks", would I?   (I think that the information in it is sound, I just can't imagine doing all those logs.)

Janice Reynolds
Founder, Moms For Milk Breastfeeding Network
Consumer Rep, Breastfeeding Committee for Canada

BTW, somehow the author got my email address and sent me 4 articles out of the book, to get a feel for the book.  I could forward them to anyone interested.  Email me.

Also, this is an example of "no harm in asking".  Publishers often give out review copies of books to influential persons - its part of the marketing budget.  So when I received that mass email from the author, offering the sample articles, I emailed back, explained who I was and how many contacts I had in the breastfeeding world, and requested a review copy.  The author replied herself, and within 10 days I had a copy couriered to me from her Cdn. publisher.  (So I guess I'd better get around to reading it and reviewing it properly, soon!!!).