From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 02:35:22 -0400
Hi All,
I have a problem and I really need some of your collective wisdom.

This is the situation:

"Elaine"  is a WIC PC.  She desperately wants our program to send her to a
CLE training (since they sent me, and I was the first PC to go to CLE).  She
has been told a number of times that there is no guarantee that she will get
to go (programs BF $$ are limited for special things for PCs), but she still
thinks that if she works hard enough and "Proves" herself, she will get to go
next year.  (In reality she is looking at more like 2 yrs from now, if she's
lucky.)  Her attitude goes from being reasonable to being very competetive
with other PCs.
"Elaine" and another PC are both in training to take over my job as Pump
Supervisor (I track all the pumps we have and counsel all the moms who have
the pumps).  I will be leaving this job within 6 months.  "Elaine" has said
many times that "It isn't fair if "Jane" gets traing that I don't.  We need
to be trained exactly the same!"  There is no way to do this!  "Elaine" gets
very upset at times when she can't do something her way, then will turn
around and act like all is OK.  "Elaine" seems to think that she will be
ready to take over my job as soon as I leave.  My opinion?  No Way.  Neither
PC will be ready, but that is something the program will have to deal with.
 When I gently told "Elaine" that there was a concern that no one would be
ready to take over my job, she became very insistent that her training be
stepped up.  Every time I try to get her over to my house for more training,
she is busy, her daughter is sick, whatever.  She makes excuses., then gets
upset that her training is going slow.
When we discuss BF issues, I get SO IRRITATED!!!!  No matter what I tell her,
she knows more.  No matter what I describe to her, she knows how to fix it,
even if she is dead wrong (which she has been on a few occaisions).  When she
calls me for advice, she refutes almost all that I tell her, or tells me that
"Last time you told me to do it this way, now you are telling me that is
wrong.  WHich is it?"  I don't change my advice folks.  I give it and stick
with it, unless I have learned something more, which I tell her.  Regardless
of my background, education and contacts, she is right and I am wrong.  I
wanted to hit her today she got me so mad.  Needless to say, the last thing I
need right now is to be getting furious like this!  The subject was milk
allergies, and because her daughter has a severe milk allergy, and my son's
wasn't as bad as her daughters, she of course knows more about it than I do.
 Doesn't matter that we (On Lactnet) have discussed this many times, and her
info was outdated.
She has been logging our BF helpline, calls me to tell me all the probs she
is having with the other PCs making their calls on time, and when I give her
suggestions to get them to improve, she tells me that "You just don't
understand, Jay.  They have busy lives, and responsibilities.  They can't
possibly be expected to do what you want them to."  Never mind that our LC
and the Helpline Director have made these changes and expect them to be done!

"Elaine"  feels the need to prove herself with WIC so that she wiil get what
she wants.  "I am making this a career, you know, Jay.  I have to prove
myself and do all this stuff, and be the best right now!"    Quite frankly, I
am sick of dealing with her.  Every time we get on the phone, I dread it.  I
get uptight, and agitated.    Tommorrow I plan on telling her to NOT bother
me with Helpline details anymore.  If she wants to be in charge of that, then
she can make all the decisions.  Technically, when it comes to the Pump job
(the one I will be getting rid of in 5-6 months) I am her supervisor.  But
with her attitude, that goes from being nice and cooperative to way too
competetive and borderline beligerent, I am at a loss.  I plan on talking to
my supervisor tommorrow about this, but I need some ideas here.  Do I tell
"Elaine" that I can't tolerate her behavior anymore and that I will let my
supervisor take over her training?  Do I tell her she is out of training?  Do
I tell her that she needs to listen to me when I am trying to teach her
something, rather than contradict me all the time?  (If she actually had some
extensive BF background and did a lot of reading in BF journals, I wouldn't
have this problem.  I would be more than happy to have discussions about the
issues, but all I get is "I know all about this".  She simply does not know
all that she thinks she does, and refuses to admit that I may know something
she doesn't.)   I don't think she even realizes that she is making me nuts!
 I have spoken to her in the past about her attitude and things improved a
bit, but now things are getting worse again.  When she calls me on a personal
level (can you believe we started out as friends???), she acts as if all is
A-OK .  She seems to be able to seperate the business from the personal, but
her attitude comes over in personal stuff too (strong opinions with no room
for listening to alternate ideas.  She's right. Period.)  and makes it hard
for me to seperate the two.
Sorry this is so long.  I am at my wits end.  Any advice you can offer?  I am
too close to this situation, I think, to be able to come up with something
that doesn' t invovle ropes and gags, right now!   I have been trying to
figure something out for several weeks now.  HELP!!

Thanks everyone, for listening.  Any ideas will be warmly welcomed!  At least
I feel comfortable asking for help from y'all!

Take care!
Jay
Tired (from getting up all night from pregnancy related potty trips) and
frustrated (from irritating people!!!) and really wanting to open that Book
Store!!!