From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:25:49 -0400
I read the piece on the 8 yo bfing. Seems to me that
from the info in the article there are no grounds for
removing the child or any other "punishment." While
nursing at 8 years old is out of the normal range by
anyone's standards (that I know of) the mother clearly
indicated that this was once every few days. Also,
as I tell my childbirth classes all the time, not "normal"
i.e. the top of the bell curve, does not mean unhealthy.
This is especially true in bf where the bell curve in
this country is so small and influenced by social factors
to the exclusion of biological ones.
Seems to me that the burden of proof should be on the
judge or the state to demonstrate that there is a problem
here. How is this affecting the child badly? Each child
is different with different needs and rates of growth and
maturation.
  Naomi Bar-Yam