From:
Brenda Dalton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:22:51 -0500
It appears that some think that I am encouraging the use of Lanolin for
ALL mothers... I do not, preventative or otherwise.  I always tell moms
that after a feeding that they can express just a few droplets of milk,
the hindmilk, which is high in fat and protein, and does more than any
ointment or cream can do, and you never need to worry that you are
allergic to it, nor if the baby won't like the taste, thus making it
necessary to wipe off, taking away the natural oils that God put on our
nipples to prevent this problem in the first place.  I also tell them that
if they feel that their nipples are chapped, that they can use a small
amount (1/2 English Pea size), rubbing that between their fingers until it
melts, and then rubbing it on their nipples... not unlike Chapstick for
their lips, that some moms do this once a day, after bathing.  I go on to
explain that they are never without their hindmilk solution, but might
have to hunt for their tube of other stuff.  If mothers ask about buying
creams, I also encourage them to purchase the smallest size, since it
won't take very long for their bodies to adjust.

Now, healing nipples with moist healing process is a totally different
story.

I was just reading a new book for me, and was actually surprised by the
statement, and thought that it might be the basis for the nurse who is
instructing moms to use before delivery.

Brenda Dalton RNC, IBCLC