From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:03:01 -0400
She's just grand, must say.   I'm happy to say that her month of breastfeeding seems to have been a good thing.  She is back at breast, didn't hesitate to attach and started to suckle at the first opportunity.  Her mother will not be sorry to be able to leave pumping behind as soon as she can and I don't think that day is far off.
I have to add one other detail, even though I don't have permission from the person involved.  I mentioned the LN subscriber who got in touch after the birth was mentioned on LN, because she had just moved from Bellingham, WA to Oslo with her husband and baby daughter.  She happens to live not far from the hospital where my granddaughter is a patient.  My daughter is a vegetarian which in Norway is challenging enough at the outset, no less so when in an institution.  But once again, the magic of this list strikes true, and my granddaughter is getting milk flavored by homemade vegetarian food from the kitchen of Elizabeth Packard, delivered in person daily.  Wouldn't be surprised if it were a factor in her recovery.  I hope Elizabeth will forgive me for outing her like this on Lactnet, I wouldn't do it if there were a lot of other subscribers living here who might start queuing up outside her door at suppertime because believe me, the food is worth it (I tasted some the day of the surgery).  Making food is such a caring, thoughtful and generous thing to do that I want to recognize it on this list, because without Lactnet I would not have the pleasure of getting to know her.  The world could use more people like her, a lot more.
And, finally, I need to mention the disaster of unfathomable scale we are now watching unfold in Japan, with consequences for people far beyond its borders.  I have noticed, and I continue to support the organizations who work consistently with the WHO code.  I do not want to belittle the suffering of hundreds of thousands of people by focusing so myopically on my own family.  When it comes down to it, though, the engagement we feel on our families' behalves, is the model for engagement in the circumstances of others and maybe that's yet another argument in support of sustained breastfeeding.  Right now I have my hands full with the local stuff affecting those closest to me, but I am well aware that we are not the only folks on this planet.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway