From:
"Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:50:42 -0600
Pam,
I know just what you are talking about.  One evening I get a phone call from
an ER doctor that I don't know saying that a doctor in another town had
referred this patient to me with xyz problem and what would I like for him
to do with her.  I asked the doctor if he knew I wasn't a doctor, but a
nurse and IBCLC and he stated, "Yes, but aren't you the Breast Friend"
(hospital joke), I states "yes" and he stated, "Well then what would you
like for me to do with your patient".  I asked him question about the
patient's condition, and together we concurred it was mastitis and a plan of
treatment was decided.  Then he asked, "when would you like to see your
patient." Which I did the next day in my out patient clinic.  Not only have
I worked 25 years in this hospital and now worked myself up to a level where
a doctor called for my assistance to help a very ill breastfeeding mother to
let all of this be jeopardized by this SOP.  I can continue to function as a
RN and as "Your Breast Friend" leaving the IBCLC behind and the possibility
of litigation if need be.

Crystal Stearns RNC MS IBCLC