From:
Lee-Ann Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:27:27 -0700
A bit behind reading...is this still being discussed? Regardless, years
ago, I remember a dietician who came to our La Leche League meetings who
had a theory regarding cereals and other early foods.  Don't know if it
ever was actually researched (it was her masters thesis topic at the
time).  Something to the effect that if we look at evolution and tooth
development, we would not be feeding little babes, even those at least a
year old, cereals.  It was her theory that grains, in years before man
got a hold of them and processed the daylights out of them, had to be
eaten using the molars that develop later in childhood; I don't recall
exactly which set of molars, but some set that was from much later in
childhood.  It is only man's processing that makes the grains able to be
chewed swallowed by the infant, even if the infant doesn't want to eat
it.  This woman theorized that we should be eating foods that would fit
into the tooth development pattern that occurs naturally, regardless of
what the processing has done to the food.  Interesting idea...with which
I agree,
Lee-Ann Halbert, LLLL, RN, IBCLC