Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:23:54 +0000
I know that what I am about to say is heresy in neonatology circles, but
I believe the situation calls for what I think you believe.  "Look at
the baby, not the lab".  We do not have any data that a baby this age,
even a premie, would be injured in any way by a "high bilirubin", and as
the baby gets bigger and older, the risk to this baby becomes even less.
As long as the baby is growing well, and gaining well, I would not do
anything, truthfully.

If it comes down to a choice between phototherapy and "temporary
interruption" of breastfeeding, phototherapy wins hands down.  Too often
"temporary interruption" ends up as permanent interruption.  But I think
the baby and the mother need to go home.  I would not do any more
bilirubins for that matter.  That way you won't know if the bilirubins
continue to rise.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC