From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:24:57 EST
In a message dated 12/8/0 5:28:30 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< This problem here in the US is a bit out of control, I believe.
Is there any hope for us?? >>

Betsy,
A "bit out of control" is quite an understatement, don't you think? I really
think we are coming to a point where many HCP's do not even have any frame of
reference for normal newborn behavior. So long as childbirth classes include
a visit from the anesthesiologist, and parents are not given explicit
information about the hazards of interfering with birth, nothing will change.
I do not tell my clients that their baby's bahavior is normal, b/c it is not!
I tell them why it is not normal, so that they will not be so terribly
surprised when normal arrives--you know, the baby actually wakes up and makes
demands. I give the information in a very matter-of-fact way, so that there
is no judgement implied, but I do think they have a right to know that they
are dealing w/ the consequences of actions (that they can control next time
or accurately relay to others), rather than thinking something is wrong w/
their baby, or that nursing is just difficult b/c babies don't know what to
do when they are born. I think the more we become entrenched in these
dangerous practices, the more these practices misinform our societal beliefs
about what is normal human behavior.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA