From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:48:28 -0500
Wanted to add a comment on breastfed babies in daycare, also, after my last
request for help brought such interesting discussion.
With my own 3 so far, I have found several things helped to preserve both my
milk supply and my baby's and caregiver's sanity.
First, I looked for providers who were willing to carry my babies.  A lot.
All the time, if necessary.  This cut down an awful lot on feeding when
other comforting was what was actually needed.
Second, for my babies who would tolerate it, we encouraged pacifier use
after a feeding.  My daughter was home with her dad for the first 12 weeks.
 No matter what technique he tried, she would inhale a bottle as quickly as
she was allowed.  Then he would put pacifier in her mouth and hold her just
like she was nursing, flat to his chest.  She was quite content that way.  I
don't think she ever figured out that I was the only one who nursed her!  At
18 mos, she would still occasionally root on him in the night if she got
turned around in bed.
Third, I encouraged them to reverse cycle.  Only my oldest really ever
mostly switched schedules, but all three nursed a lot at night, and in the
mornings and evenings.  My oldest averaged only 2-6 oz of milk in a whole
day when I was away, preferring to wait for me.  The other 2 took more, but
still nursed a lot when I was home.  This also increased my comfort level
that they were getting enough food when they took so much less volume during
the day then other babies I knew.
Fourth, and this may be the most important thing for maintaining a supply if
you have to be gone a lot, I never let my babies have a bottle or pacifier
if I was home.  All of their sucking and nutrition needs were met at breast.
 (except for my littlest, who also managed to learn to suck his thumb.)  I
see many working moms who think they need a schedule, and think they should
keep up the same schedule of bottles on weekends and days off.  I strongly
encourage them to nurse the baby absolutely as much as possible.  I found
that I could pump sometimes twice as much on Monday as on Friday, because I
had nursed all weekend.  Maybe some women are not as sensitive to the
difference between pump and baby as I am, but I see many who struggle to
keep up trying to follow any kind of schedule.
For my mom and baby that I posted about, I am going to compile the
suggestions I received and send them to her.  Hopefully, they will help.
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 3, and new baby #4 expected 5/31/03