Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:16:26 +0000
>Re:  not calling things by their name:  If we were an e-list of parents,
I'd
>perhaps agree.  But this is a professional list and I find it hard to
>understand why scientists, practitioners, and policy people must talk in
>code.  We are trying to analyze information not obfuscate it.

Yes, indeed, Barbara!

Also,  as we have just been reminded, this is an international list,
and I *want* to know the brand names of formula and pumps in order to
educate myself. The initials do not stand for the same things in
other countries. For instance, 'S' in the USA would be Similac - a
brand we don't have here. 'S' would be SMA.

On a UK based bf-supporters list I am on, we always use the full
name, because sometimes our discussions revolve around what a
particular manufacturer is doing, and we want to name them - naming
and shaming, I suppose....

We especially want to see how particular manufacturers are pushing
against the UK Law on the marketing of formula. SMA (Nutricia, as it
happens) has a team of 'educators' who visit parents groups and talk
to them about things like  baby massage (they are not permitted to
talk about feeding). The dolls used as models for the massage class
all have an SMA tee shirt on.

So - in the interests of clarity and education,  name names, I say : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK