Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:11:25 -0600
Kathleen mentioned the risks of epidurals, and the impediment of breast feeding.  NO  WAY!  Do epidurals interfere with br.fdng?? (That is sarcasm by the way)  One thing I have noticed as the epidural rate at our hospital continues to increase, is that there seems to be more br.fdng problems.  I see sleepier babies, more disorganized sucking, and just plain stunned babies.  I have NEVER heard an anesthitist inform a mother to be there may be some interferance with br.fdng.  But of course we all know that epidurals do not slow labour down, lead to instrumental deliveries, interfere with bladder function etc.  I will fall on my face the day I hear one tell a mother there seems to be an associated risk...That's my rant for tonight.  Bonnie RN, IBCLC, in Wpg Can.