From:
Nancy Schweers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 20:21:06 -0500
Dear Lactnetters:

Since my main interests (besides breastfeeding, of course) are in those two
subjects that all Southern ladies know better than to discuss in polite
company, that is, religion and politics, I am always in grave danger of
mixing causes and being controversial,  but here goes anyway.  It's the 90's!

Seriously, the discussion of breastfeeding and religion has been very
interesting and sometimes disturbing, especially when what some say are God's
methods run contrary to good health for babies.  How can this be?

I studied theology and Christian spirituality while helping and advocating
for mothers and babies.   I'd like to share a few miscellaneous thoughts.
 They are pretty tightly woven, so just read on if you're not in a reflective
mode.  Peace and greetings for 1996 none-the-less.
___________________________________

Discerning hearts find the reaction of authority, when questioned, very
telling.

Religion, being culture bound, is always susceptible to limited knowledge and
misguided values.  However, at the heart of the Christian religion is a call
to be dedicated to the unfolding of God's truth and goodness through the gift
of the Spirit made possible, as we see it,  by Jesus Christ.

This openess to God's life among us all calls for our being alert,
questioning, and ready to decide what is best with an ever-widening
perspective.  Authentic spirituality, no matter what the religion, struggles
with challenge and stretches to learn and grow, and is enabled by the gift of
Love itself.

May we all be alert and ready to live what we know and can learn ...
                               and to receive the best of what we hope
for....