Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:01:10 +0000
>>One of my fellow LCs is seeing a mom, and asked me to post to the list, so
>>here is what I know:
>>
>>Mother came in for a consult because of weight loss in baby, and firm,
>>engorged breasts around day 4.  Nipples were not sore...latch appeared good,
>>but baby only able to get a few cc's despite vigorous suckling.

I asked why this mother was referred...and I am still asking : )

The description of what the mother was experiencing - yes, including
the engorgement, as long as it was mild, and the weight loss unless
(I suppose)  it was truly dramatic  - seem to me to be within the
normal, and transitory, experience of early breastfeeding, and easily
managed by any competent primary carer working with the mother
herself. A bit of hand expression to soften the breast, lots of skin
to skin contact with the baby, plenty of non-forced practice sessions
at the breast, kindly observation and support, yes, and cabbage if
the mother is very uncomfortable...anyone in the front line of caring
for mothers in the first days after childbirth should be able to take
this low-level practical support in their stride...no? Or am I
missing something about the sort of routine help on offer to new
mothers?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK