From:
Edie Eckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:55:07 -0700
I'm not skilled at analyzing studies, so I have questions for the experts.

The way I read the abstract, it seems that one group was counseled not to
use pacifiers, or to use them minimally, while the control group was not
counseled one way or another?

The statistics show that the counseled group used pacifiers less often, etc.
However, 16% in the control did not use pacifiers at all.  Does the
"randomized allocation" factor in those in the control group who *acted*
like those in the counseled group-(i.e., if I had been in the control group
but my child never had a paci and nursed on demand at least every 2 hrs)-and
those in the counseled group who frequently used pacifiers (and maybe had
the baby on a schedule)? Did it factor in any other bf support/follow-up
that the mothers got?  What about mother/baby separation, i.e. who is
putting the paci in the baby's mouth? If mom is separated from baby
frequently, it may not be that "pacifier use is a marker of breastfeeding
difficulties or reduced motivation to breastfeed", but that mom isn't there
to feed baby at breast. Would any of these other factors matter?
Is 258 a good sample size for this type of study?

Maybe I'm not making myself clear, but I'm sure Wiser Ones will elaborate
further...

Thanks,
Edie Eckman, LLL