Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 17:27:25 +0100
>Thanks Heather and Nikki.  As far as why is she being weighed so
>frequently, because in the US they do 4 days, 2 weeks on first time
>moms.  I think many do a one month or 6 week check. Vaccinations are
>given at 2, 4, 6, months.  This particular pediatrician is
>apparently known to "freak out" over weights w breastfed infants;
>when I got the initial report, I thought it was just overreaction
>because the overrall weight gain is 0.82 oz/day.  It's just the
>trend that I'm wondering about.  Mom says baby is "falling down" on
>both height and weight percentiles.  I went back for the weight
>check to see what my plan (more frequent feeds, restrict pacifier
>(even bait and switch, which is how she transferred additional 22 cc
>when i was there), and offering when mom is feeling full) had done
>to weight - it was more to reassure the mom, but left me confused,
>because these strategies "should" have resulted in more weight gain.
>I couldn't explain it to this fragile mom who will not see that peds
>again but is still concerned and wants weight to be up before next
>visit to that practice. I also wondered if the recent "low" gain of
>3 oz/7 days was related to irritability following the 2 month
>vaccination - maybe feeding less frequently, sleeping more, but mom
>reported no fever or other side effects.  I suggested probiotics for
>both mom and babe - I figured it can't hurt.  When I was there for
>weight check, I noticed some jitteriness in baby's arms - when I
>asked mom if she has seen this before, she stated baby has "rhythmic
>jerking" sometimes.

Hi, Laura - what is this baby doing on the chart, though?  'Falling
down' could be serious or within normal limits.

I agree with you - it is the trend that is key, not individual
weights. If she is still only feeding 6 x in 24 hours, that leaves
lots of scope for increasing intake, day and night.

Without more details, it's not really possible to say if the meds are
having a side effect....I agree with Ruth's points about the Prozac
and weight study results, which could be explained by behavioural
changes rather than pharmaceutical ones. Either way,  it should be
easy enough for this mother to increase the no. of times the baby
comes to the breast.

I don't understand the need for probiotics but this might reflect a
difference between UK and US practice - they're not given here,
anyway.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK