From:
sheila stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:40:26 -0500
I think using one's own body to demonstrate is a great idea. It helps
personalize the experience for the new mother; it shows the new mother that
the LC has personal experience with bf and knows what she is talking about;
and very possibly it helps her see how breastfeeding can fit into her
lifestyle.
A nicely dressed, professional woman demonstrating breastfeeding is a fine
role model too. Some women can't see how they can fit breastfeeding into
their professional lives.

Speaking of using your own body, at La Leche League meetings I've often got
down on the floor to demonstrate how to nurse lying down. Some new mothers
simply can't picture it until they see it, and are relieved to know they no
longer have to sit in a chair for those nightime feeds.

Sheila Stubbs

www.birthingtheeasyway.com