From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:32:02 -0800
Kathy -- of course moms who are bottle-feeding in the ads have great eye contact with the camera -- that's one of my main objections to using a bottle, be it formula or EBM --
Moms do not seem to make the same connection to the baby as they do
at breast, at least not after the "newness" wears off.  All too often, and all too soon, I see bottle feeding moms with babies perched out on their knees, or worse, in carseats/infant seats,   being fed from afar.
You can't get this physically detached (pardon the play on words) when you're breast feeding -- and hopefully with skin-to-skin comes eye-to-eye and mind-to-mind --
 in other words -- the baby, the process, the diad as focus, not a camera.

Chanita, in San Francisco

 For the unfortunate few who can't breast feed, and the many who chose
not to, should we at least teach them how the give bottles in the most
loving, connected fashion -- an ethical dilemma?