From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:47:35 EST
Thought you all would like to hear the answer I got from the Similac
Feeding Expert about why their instructions for mixing powdered infant formula
differ from the WHO guidelines.

I was told that the hot temperature, 70 degrees Celsius or 158 degrees
Fahrenheit, followed by rapid chilling to room temperature, would degrade the
protein in the formula and then it would not necessarily be what the label
lists. Has anyone ever heard of this? Of course the expert had never heard
of the WHO guidelines.

On a similar vein, I heard just yesterday that our local WIC program is now
 giving out only vouchers for concentrated liquid formula for the first 2
months  and advising mothers against using the powder for at least 2 months.

One last question for today: Does anyone know if the Breastmilk  Storage
bottles we just got a sample of from Abbot Nutrition are BPA free? They  are
not labeled as such and the Feeding Expert told me that the plastic they are
made from is polycarbonate, which I thought did have BPA in it, but she
said it  didn't. Have not been able to get a hold of our rep from the company.
Replies off list can be sent to [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])

Mary-Jane Sackett, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Pittsfield, MA (in the cold and windy Berkshire Hills of western
Massachusetts)