From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:09:22 -0500
Jaye posts about a mother whose baby's pee smells funny. The mother is taking 80 mg of Domperidone (daily, I am guessing).  Jaye asks for input.

If the baby has normal urine and stool output, is growing as expected and is fully breastfed, I'd look for other things, like laundry detergent in the diapers if they are cloth.  The detergent could be reacting to something in the urine and causing an odor.  If the baby is being supplemented (as might be the case since mother presumably has supply problems) it could be something in the formula, and it could be a urinary tract infection.  If the baby is not getting enough milk, it could be dehydrated, which normally means concentrated urine, which in turn may have more of an odor.

Those are just my thoughts, on the reasons a baby's pee might smell, at all.  Without more info I would not want to guess which it might be.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway