Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:33:19 -0500
>Another source of low milk I *think* I've seen this spring is related to
>greater-than-average blood loss at birth...  But good nursing and
>pumping didn't seem to make much difference in the early weeks.  It took
>overall rest and recovery time.

I also had a client who had excessive blood loss.  She was taking ferrous
sulfate to build her hemo., but it was very slow and she and baby were
reacting with intestinal problems.  So I recommended a food-based iron
supplement, which brought up her hemoglobin rapidly, along with a good milk
supply.

I'm not fond of elemental iron for anemia.  My 80-year-old mother had a low
blood count and was given ferrous sulfate, which caused intestinal
bleeding, lowering her count further.  With a food-based iron supplement
she boosted her hemoblobin and her energy quickly. I hope her doctor took
note of what was beneficial.

I guess there can't be patents on food products, so pharm. companies aren't
eager to create a food-based iron supplement.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]