From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 06:42:35 -0400
Here is the script of the Video News release that is being made by Medela
today, 10/14/98.  This is forwarded from Debra Kurtz of Medela.

I realize it is in bad formatting, but I hope folks can read it.

Kathleen

Studio Anchor on-camera

STUDIO ANCHOR O/C: WHILE  MOTHER'S MILK IS STILL BEST FOR BABY, RECENT
REPORTS OF DEHYDRATION OF NEWBORNS HAVE REFOCUSED PUBLIC ATTENTION ON
BREASTFEEDING. A POPULAR MEDICAL TELEVISION SHOW DRAMATIZED THE FICTIONAL
DEATH OF A BABY - A RARE SITUATION THAT IN REAL LIFE CAN BE AVOIDED BY
KNOWING WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN LEARNING TO BREASTFEED.  HERE'S LYNN THOMPSON
WITH THIS SPECIAL HEALTH REPORT.

1. Montage of mothers and babies.  Film at Wellstart with breastfeeding
mothers (in appropriate discreet angling fashion for mainstream news
broadcast).

 REPORTER  V/O: BREASTFEEDING  IS THE PREFERRED FEEDING METHOD ACCORDING TO
THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS RECENT GUIDELINES THAT SAY BABIES SHOULD
BE BREASTFED "FOR THE FIRST YEAR OF LIFE OR LONGER WHEN POSSIBLE".

2. Warm and snuggly mother and child shots.  Interaction of a mother and her
physician or Lactation Consultant.

 MOTHER'S MILK IS THE FOOD OF CHOICE BECAUSE IT PROVIDES THE BABY WITH
COMPLETE NUTRITION, BUILDS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM AND, STUDIES SHOW,  EVEN
ENHANCE BRAIN DEVELOPMENT.

3. Pediatrician on-camera

 Lawrence M. Gartner, M.D.
 Professor Emeritus
 Depts of Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology
 University of Chicago           DR GARTNER  O/C: (suggested bite) "Breastfeeding
is Nature's way of protecting infants from disease and lowering their risk
of allergies.  It even benefits the mother by reducing her risk of breast
cancer and osteoporosis."
4. Generic hospital footage. Then segue back to Lactation Consultant
training and reassuring a new mother.

 REPORTER  V/O: CERTAIN MEDIA REPORTS AND TV MEDICAL DRAMAS HAVE FOCUSED
PUBLIC ATTENTION NEGATIVELY ON A FEW CASES OF DEHYDRATION OF NEWBORNS. THE
GOOD NEWS IS THAT TRUE DEHYDRATION CASES ARE EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND MOST
OFTEN OCCUR IN INFANTS WITH OTHER COMPLICATIONS BORN TO INEXPERIENCED,
FIRST-TIME MOTHERS.  AFTER A NORMAL DELIVERY, ALL MOTHERS CAN EASILY LEARN
TO BREASTFEED THEIR BABIES EFFECTIVELY SO DEHYDRATION DOES NOT OCCUR.

5. Lactation Consultant on-camera

 Ruth Wester
 Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
 Wellstart International                 LACTATION CONSULTANT, O/C: (suggested bite)
"Successful breastfeeding is a partnership, and many women need to actually
learn to breastfeed properly.  Advice from someone with experience can help.
I help a new mother learn how best to work with her baby to improve feeding
skills."\
6. GRAPHIC: Bullet Points

Is your baby is getting enough milk?
By 5-7 days after delivery,
 Check that every 24 hours there are
§ At least 10-12 feedings
· At least 6 wet diapers
· At least 3 bowel movements
· You hear baby's swallows
 Or contact Your Healthcare Provider or Certified Lactation Consultant

        REPORTER  V/O: TO GET OFF TO A GOOD BREASTFEEDING START , MAKE SURE YOU GET
HELP WITH BREASTFEEDING IN THE HOSPITAL, AND VISIT YOUR BABY'S  HEALTHCARE
PROVIDER  TWO TO FOUR DAYS AFTER DELIVERY,
SO HOW CAN YOU TELL IF A NEWBORN BABY IS GETTING ENOUGH MILK? BY FIVE TO
SEVEN DAYS AFTER DELIVERY, CHECK  THAT EVERY 24 HOURS THERE ARE AT LEAST
10-12 FEEDINGS AND AT LEAST 6 WET DIAPERS AND AT LEAST 3 BOWEL MOVEMENTS.
YOU SHOULD HEAR YOUR BABY SWALLOWING.
CONTACT YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER OR BOARD CERTIFIED LACTATION CONSULTANT IF
YOU DO NOT SEE THESE SIGNS.

 YOU CAN GET BREASTFEEDING HELP FROM MANY SOURCES INCLUDING  LA LECHE LEAGUE
INTERNATIONAL, THE INTERNATIONAL LACTATION CONSULTANTS ASSOCIATION,  WIC,
WELLSTART INTERNATIONAL AND  MEDELA, A LEADING BREAST PUMP COMPANY.

2. Breastfeeding Mother on-camera

 Breastfeeding Mother            MOM  O/C: (suggested bite) "By learning about
breastfeeding, I've become really confident with what didn't quite come so
naturally to me!  And I just can't tell you the kind of deep bonding and
healthfulness that it's created for me and my baby now."
3. Smiling mother and baby to close.

STUDIO  ANCHOR  O/C: For more information about Breastfeeding, contact your
healthcare professional, or call:
 La Leche League International at 1-800-LA LECHE (1-800-525-3243)
 Medela's Breastfeeding National Network (BNN) at 1-800-TELL-YOU
(1-800-835-5968)
 International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA) at 1-919-787-5181.
 Wellstart International at 1-619-295-5192

Ref:j\word\chicagohopevnr.doc..rtf