From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:32:15 +0800
>I was just wondering -- How long has soy formula been on the market?  I
>know we have discussed the possibility of plant estrogens being in the
>soy formula and its possible effects on male children. Have there been
>any studies about this? Now that it has just hit the popular press that
>eating soy helps ease menopause symptoms, has anyone really looked at
>long term effects on male babies (or even female babies)?

Kris, I assume you are aware of the New Zealand report about the potential
risks of soy. I remember reading quite recently about a proposal to do a
study on baby boys fed soy formula, but I can't find it now. (I agree that
it is not only the boys we should worry about, but the girls as well.) It
may have been in the New Zealand Lactation Consultants Association's
newsletter, 'Issues', that I get on circulation through Nursing Mothers'
Association of Australia. If so, I have sent it back so can't look it up
again. Any New Zealanders out there in 'Lactnetland' that can help here?

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia