From:
Pamela A Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:58:15 -0500
To answer the question why don't hospitals and nurses ask for informed consent for babies to go to the nursery (or nurses station if there is no nursery) at night:  I think the simplest answer is because most people still do not believe formula is that bad or that big of a deal. Unfortunately so many of us were raised on it and therefore think "well, I am ok, so it is no big deal".  Corporate Compliance still allows the hospital to give out formula diaper bags (our hospital system thinks they "fixed it" by telling them they can no longer put their formula in the bag!).  Risk management doesn't see it at all, they have more important issues to deal with and at our hospital one of the heads of this department has a daughter who has a baby who is formula fed and never had a drop of breastmilk.  They nurses who are not big into breastfeeding, especially at night, find their job easier to plug the baby with a pacifier and then feed formula so the baby sleeps longer and mom isn't calling them into the room all night long.  Things are getting better but in baby steps, one nurse at a time.  We have a conference in the planning for next year we hope to get some of the nurses mandated to take it, with Nancy M.  I also believe another big issue is that parents are not taking responsibility for learning during their pregnancy.  Many do but many more do not.  I have worked with intelligent couples with big careers who never took a class and have no clue.  I have worked with young girls who have no clue and the family, 7 obese women, sitting in the room telling her the baby was starving and she didn't have milk.  How does a young girl fight that pressure and lack of support?  We have a long way to go.  But shame on women who are educated and do not take responsibility to learn, they have 9 months and find every excuse under the sun as to why they didn't take classes, etc.  Or the only book they read was Baby Wise!!  aarrgh!

Pamela A. Hendrix, BA, RN, IBCLC, RLC

S. Florida Based