From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:50:01 -0600
> From: Wendi Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>
> I just saw this news article.  http://www.kron.com/Global/story.asp?S=959730
> It states that the baby tested positive to antibodies to West Nile Virus
> that was passed through breastmilk.  They are also stating that the baby is
> healthy.  So was the virus passed on?  or just the antibodies?  Anyone know
> or care to speculate?
>
> Thanks
> Wendi Jones
> Breastfeeding Advocate

This just went out on Canadian Press - it's an AP wire story with Canadian
content added. Sorry for the length - I couldn't find a URL to refer to.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control: Baby caught West Nile virus from mom's
milk (HEALTH-West-Nile-Milk)
ATLANTA (AP-CP) _ U.S. health officials confirmed Thursday that a
Michigan infant has the West Nile virus and probably got it from the
**>breast milk<** of his infected mother.

The child is healthy and his mother is recovering, the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention said. The CDC said it was
virtually certain the virus came from **>breast milk<**, though there is
no way to be completely sure.

Doctors stressed that **>breast milk<** is the healthiest food for
babies and that mothers shouldn't stop nursing because of West Nile
fears.

Last week, when the case was being investigated, the CDC urged
new mothers with the virus to talk to their doctor about whether to
continue **>breastfeeding.<**

A spokeswoman for Health Canada said the department needs to look
further at the issue of West Nile virus and **>breast milk<** in light of
the CDC announcement.

``The chances of acquiring West Nile virus from **>breast milk<** are
low, but it does require further study,'' said Paige Raymond Kovach.

``Health Canada keeps current of all West Nile virus transmission
information to better inform the public and our partners.''

She added the public should remember that the risks of being
bitten by an infected mosquito in Canada remain low and that the
risk of becoming sick after being bitten is low as well.

West Nile is rare in infants because they spend little time
outdoors and the virus is usually spread by mosquito bites. Only
four children younger than 12 months have been diagnosed with West
Nile since it appeared in the United States in 1999. To date there
have been no confirmed cases in children in Canada.

The 40-year-old Michigan mother gave birth Sept. 2, and received
a blood transfusion that day and the next. She went home with her
baby Sept. 4, only to be hospitalized on Sept. 17 for three days.
Doctors later confirmed she had West Nile.

It's not clear how the mother became infected but it may have
been from the blood, the CDC said. She and another patient, a liver
transplant recipient, received blood from a common donor, and
remaining blood samples from that donor show signs of contamination.

The government discovered last month that the virus apparently
can be spread through blood transfusions, as well as organ
transplants. The CDC reported 15 people this year have been
diagnosed with West Nile virus within a month after receiving blood
transfusions.

The virus is mostly spread through mosquito bites, and has
infected 2,530 people in 32 U.S. states so far this year and killed
125, the CDC said.

So far in Canada there have been two confirmed deaths from West
Nile. A 70-year-old man from Mississauga, Ont., succumbed to the
disease last month, while in 1999 a 75-year-old man from Toronto
died after being infected while visiting the United States.

There have been 11 confirmed cases of the disease in Canada this
year and at least 36 Canadians are suspected of having the virus and
are awaiting the results of tests being conducted in Winnipeg.

Most people bitten by an infected mosquito never get sick.

___

On the Net:

The CDC's West Nile virus information:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm