From:
ABWOODCOX <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:58:58 EDT
I am brand new to Lactnet and so I am not sure whether the following issue has
come up recently or not but... here goes.  I am a LC in a local hospital and I
am also currently nursing my third child who is 5 months old(which has given
me a new and refreshed compassion and empathy for my clients).  Recently I
assisted a mom  who was a larger lady who had delivered a 10 # baby.  He had
recieved bottles the night after delivery(Which is a whole  problem in itself,
which I may address later),  and when I went to help her, she had nipples
which were the diameter of a quarter atleast, if not larger.  I tried and
tried to get the babe on correctly but he would only get a portion of the
nipple or nothing at all.  After many attempts, mom decided that she would
just pump.  I am quite certain that she has given up because she declined my
offer to get her an electric pump.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this
frustrating dilemna???  This is not the first time I have seen this and I am
sure it won't be the last.
Thanks
Amy Woocox,RN,BSN, IBCLC
South Bend
P.S.  I love this Lactnet already.  It is wonderful.  I loved the Hooters
Comment.