From:
"mumma2wldthings @mac.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 09:17:05 -0400
laura,

this situation sounds very similar to my son. he was born w/ food
allergies and by 11 months of age was allergic to corn, the top 8 food
allergens, most beans, sesame and lentils. all allergies are iGe-
mediated and RAST (blood test) confirmed. he also became allergic to
rice & coconut 2 yrs ago but we've since overcome those as they
happened during a bad flare-up when he became allergic to most of the
24ish things we can eat.
earlier this year, i required a galactagogue. i knew better than to
try fenugreek, as it is related to peanuts and he is allergic to
peanuts and tree nuts.
commercially available domperidone does have *both* dairy and corn in
it. i contacted the compounding pharmacy we have to use for all of his
medications and they told me they compound domperidone (motillium)
quite often. they compounded it into 30 mg capsules for me, completely
free of any allergens and i was able to take 1 every 8 hrs around the
clock for 90 mgs daily. at 3 weeks into the regimen, my son began
reacting to it w/ rashes and hives after nursing. there was absolutely
nothing new in our entire environment or diet that it could have been,
we are that limited and controlled for him. i stopped and his torso
rash began to clear up w/in 12 hrs of my last missed dose. by 24 hrs,
he was completely cleared up. i waited 3 days and began to take it
again. he broke out in hives 6 hrs after my 1st dose and took 12 hrs
to clear up again. i definitely don't recommend stopping it cold
turkey, but i didn't have much choice and luckily my supply didn't
suffer for it. i am the only case i have heard of in my lactation work
w/ a child definitely allergic to motillium through mother's milk and
i work primarily moms and babies with food allergies now and recommend
motillium fairly often, so this is anecdotally just one case...but i
also don't see babies as allergic to as many things as early as mine
was, as so it bears keeping mind whenever i work with other moms in a
similar boat. i have a blog where i post about treatments, menu and
life while breastfeeding and raising a child like this, if it can be
of any help to you: www.greenandbitchy.blogspot.com.
best of luck to this mom & baby & kudos to you both for helping to get
him exclusively on breastmilk! mom should also take medical grade,
allergen free probiotics and really focus on gut-healing foods for
herself, too!
~jacqui gruttadauria, bsw
(near detroit, michigan, USA - where my own little allergy guy (3.5)
has been having his annual summer setback with weight loss, growth and
developing new allergies & i am thanking my lucky stars as always that
i bf until child led weaning as he is allergic to every formula and
supplement available!)