From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 16:06:59 -0400

> Subject: breastfeeding is love
>
> In terms of "marketing" breastfeeding, I like the idea of emphasizing
> that breastfeeding helps a mother and baby experience a love and
> intimacy that is more powerful than they can imagine.

In past years, I taught prenatal classes, and when I tried to talk about
these emotions and introduce this concept, I found that many of the
expectant parents were very uncomfortable with it. It really surprised me,
actually. The concerns I heard about were: too much love and intimacy
between mother and baby would interfere with the mother-father relationship
(baby getting in the way); too much attachment between mother and baby would
make it too hard for mom to return to work; too much love between mother and
baby would make for a spoiled baby (mom won't be able to make him stick to a
schedule or behave) who would grow up with emotional problems - the
"smotherlove" idea; mother will try to get her own emotional needs met
through this unhealthy relationship with the baby.

Now, some of these very same parents did come around once their babies were
born and later talked eloquently about the loving breastfeeding
relationship. But there was great resistance prenatally. Many people find
the idea of an intimate relationship with their baby quite scary,
apparently.

Teresa Pitman