From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 08:24:33 -0400
Arly,

You said,

>It has occurred to me to wonder if women who can cry either letdown better
>or produce more milk during crying times.  We've all seen the engorged mom
>with baby in hospital who cannot letdown--in my experience, this woman
>usually isn't crying, either, despite her worry and grief.

I read somewhere that there is prolactin in tears (not the onion kind of
tears, but the sadness tears -- they analyzed the two types & they are
different).  I wonder if the act of crying increases the prolactin levels, or
if it is the release of tension that causes the letdown.  I remember an LC
once saying long ago (don't remember who, now) that if you can cry, you will
let down easier and have more milk.  I've often wondered if there was a
relationship between the ability to cry easily and milk supply.  (And if
that's the case, I'd have far more milk now than when I was struggling to
have enough with Timothy!).

Another one of those, "No, there isn't any research, but it is interesting to
speculate....." Whaddya'll think?

Jan Barger, in Wheaton, IL where it is going to be another scorcher, so I
think I'll make another gallon of sun tea....