Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 11:50:32 -0700
Local pharmacists here in Helena, MT are unable to find any oxytocin nasal spray and advised that it probably isn't being made anymore (at least not here in the USA!).  I am working with a 2nd time mom & her family practice MD to help establish a better milk supply for her son Matthew. Born on 11-4-98, now 2 mos. old and having to use a supplementer nurser system to augment milk supply.  She had to use same with 1st(worked with someone else) and eventually quit at 51/2 mos.  Contact established before delivery, suggestions about freq./duration & latch; which were all problems first time around.  Visited day home from hospital & had good start on freq./ duration, but latch not adequate. Milk came in on right for sure(whiter/mom), but "lighter" blue on left. Suggested pumping left while nursing right. Wt.check @ 6d.8 # 1oz,up from dschg.wt.7# 10oz.(b.wt.8# 2oz)YEAH! To cut it short, cont.to follow over next couple weeks & developed good latch, lots of swallows on right, problems with latch on left and few swallows, back to b.wt.11-23.  Wonder about left breast...smaller, somewhat tubular?  Can lack of glandular tissue occur in one breast.  MD & I began wondering about let down on this side and mom obviously stressed by this time.  Nursing on right still ok.  Also, started Fenugreek 11-13. 11-24 wt.down 1oz, .mom stressed,suppl. & talk to me suggested by MD.  Discussed using SNS on left only, 2oz.increments and reinforced need to give swallow practice to improve suck, which has been less on left.  Does flutter sucking on left mostly, freq. nursing now-every hour sometimes, poor wt. gain...All sound like a lazy nurser to me.  Am I missing something.  MD & I have talked and wonder about Oxytocin nasal spray? Would it help?Can it be obtained somewhere-MD willing to pursue.Sorry so long...feel like a novice having just completed my first "official" year in practice as certified.Thank you from Helena...15 degrees,not much snow.Faylene(RNC,IBLCLC).