From:
Judy Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 20:02:14 +0300
Maryanne: It may be useful to ask the mom if the reason for her
infertility was elevated prolactin levels. If so, she may have been
treated to lower her prolactin levels to overcome infertility. I don't
remember where I read it, but this treatment has been known to carry over
into the postpartum period. In other words, the baby that was born only
through the technological ability of medical science to lower the mother's
prolactin level is deprived of mom's milk  :-(  I had one mom that I
suspected this happened with, and I'm not sure who was more upset, the mom
or me.... Women who become pregnant only after infertility treatment
understandably want to experience it all, and it devastated me to have to
tell her that she probably won't have enough milk to sustain her baby no
matter what she does - the prolactin just isn't there. At the time, I
didn't know about domperidone, but I wonder if even that would have helped
enough.
Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel