Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 12:02:11 EDT
and i was told by a nurse here that "the mom can have the baby for kangaroo
care as soon as he has spent half an hour under the warmer, then she can hold
him for a while, but then he has to go back under the warmer." nothing more
infuriating than someone using the words but unclear on the concept.

but then, if we don't separate the mom and baby before successful nursing can
get started, and if we don't make it clear to the mother that the nurses
*have* to do these various things, then how else would we make it clear to
her that she is incompetent to take care of her own child and needs to do
exactly as she is told to do by the many different and contradictory people
who will be seeing her over the next couple of days? who does the baby belong
to, anyway?

carol brussel IBCLC
specializing in asking the questions