Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:20:47 -0800
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Karleen Gribble wrote:

> ...but it's completely normal for young children to need to suck for
> comfort!

So true... and, while we're talking about the large number of children
with dummies and the preponderance of smokers, I'll comment that I don't
think those two things are unrelated.  Seeking comfort through inanimate
objects continues throughout life for some people, and I know an awful lot
of people who traveled more or less along this path:  early weaning if any
breastfeeding at all => bottles/pacifiers taken away at some point =>
thumb sucking taken up and subsequently discouraged => nail biting or hair
chewing or some such also subsequently discouraged => smoking... or worse.

I am reminded of the wise words of Lisa Chernow from a parenting list way
back when I first discovered the 'net:  "Infantile needs that are not met
in childhood will often manifest themselves in infantile behavior later in
life."  I really think this is evidenced so strongly in the many and
varied oral fixations in adults and older children.

Cee