From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:23:01 -0600
I have not posted yet, but am receiving the digest.  I am from Nashville, TN.  I am the coordinator of the Lactation Department at my hospital, teach classes for health care staff and do outpatient consults (about 30 a month), answer a breastfeeding helpline etc.

On the topic of strange reactions - I had a patient who complained of breaking out in hives every time she breastfed her baby.  We related it to oxytocin release - when I asked her if she had this other times, we  discovered she also broke out in hives with orgasm and during labor.  This seemed to ameliorate about 4 months postpartum.

On the topic of weird nipples - gentian violet is wonderful but messy.  The APNO helps.  Also, I have discovered that if someone has recurring problems, vitamin supplements, probiotics and essential fatty acids really help boost the whole immune system.  We should wonder if the problem is the problem or if it's a symptom of the real problem.  It's easy for moms to not take care of themselves with adequate exercise, sleep, good nutrition, and mental rest.

Jane Kershaw, RN, BA, RLC (IBCLC since 1987)