Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 07:48:16 -0700
On Tue, 17 May 2005, Liz Brooks wrote:

> I think an Expo is a wonderful chance to educate new families about the
> ease of doing the norm:  BF.  I suggested the IBCLC get fun with it:
> have a poster that says "Ask Me About Your Free Baby Gift:
> Breastfeeding."  The formula manufacturers have mastered the use of
> carrots such as coupons and freebies to attract attention to their
> product.  Maybe BF advocates should use the same carrot to draw families
> to their booth!

I agree.  I think the IBCLC's have a moral obligation to be there to
*counter* the formula reps' spiel!

In my breastfeeding classes, I give my students a green (the color of
money, at least in the US!) coupon about the size of a US dollar bill.
It has dollar signs all around the edges and "Save at least $2000 in your
baby's first year!  BREASTFEED!" printed in the middle.  It always gets a
chuckle and starts a lively conversation about the tangential savings
derived from breastfeeding... like fewer doctor bills, fewer stained
clothes for baby and Mom, fewer dental bills, fewer orthodontic bills,
etc. In my last class, one dad piped up with, "Less money spent on review
courses for the SAT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT... because of those IQ points, you
know!"  :)

Cecilia Mitchell Miller
http://www.kjsl.net/~cee
Jacksonville, FL USA