From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:40:08 -0500
Jenny, I appreciate your comments, and your assistance in speaking to the
"people up there." Although there is a lot of support here for gentle
confrontation and education, it is a terrifying aspect when you have been
groomed to be subsurvient.

The babies who are under bili lights are a part of a growing local trend. I
thought, also, these babies were not healthy, but no, they are healthy, term
newborns, and the AAP recommendations for jaundice are not being followed. I
am not the only one frustrated. I have spoken to people at this facility,
and they are frustrated, too. They cannot contradict doctor's orders, even
though they see a dangerous trend. We had complete replacement of the
pediatric staff, the other group all retired, and a new group has been
hired. The new docs, apparently, trained at high-risk facilities, and treat
all babies as high-risk. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately,  all
high-risk mothers and babies are transferred out immediately, most do not
deliver anywhere around here. So, with the training in scary situations,
apparently this fear is transferred to the normal mothers, a situation with
which these docs have not had a lot of experience.

I'm not trying to be contrary. As difficult as it is for me to speak to
"them," it is just as difficult for the young couples to stand their
grounds. They are taught one thing at childbirth class, the nurse is
encouraging this same information, and then the doctor comes in with another
set of ideals. Who is the mother to trust? The doctor, of course, because
that is the person with the most education. Since the nurses, and I, cannot
contradict what he says, what he says stands, even if it's not the most
current information.

As I mentioned... I tend to have an aggressive nature. I'm trying to tone it
down. I had good repoire with the former docs, and this new attitude has
taken me by surprise. I ask here because I respect the ideas and thoughts
from this group. I want it to work, I just don't know how to do it.

Thank you for you kind encouragement. I assure you, it is being soaked up
and figured out.

Best wishes,
Sam