From:
Elaine Miranda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:56:53 +0000
Hi everyone,
I am returning to Lactnet, because I learned an aweful lot before I took my IBCLC exam 6 years ago. But, I went back to school for my BSN and let it go. I do have to add my two cents about medela though. I see most people precieve that they do not care and feel it is all about money.
Well, I have given it a lot of thought and yes it is true they do want to promote their products for sales. I also see where my population of moms are actually into pumping half or even all the time to give their babies EBM.
I have read studies that it can be an old child sexual abuse that will re-surface when they try to BF, so if they are willing to feed their baby with EBM in a bottle then at least they are providing the best of the best.
Last week I had a mom who was very convinced she would only bottle feed, so I offered her the option of pumping to feed her baby so the they would still reap the benefits of BF.
We discussed the benefits of breastmilk & I planted that seed in her mind and about an hour later she decided she would try it for 24 hours.
The next day she was expressing 30 cc q2h and was thrilled.
I offered for me to assist in latching the baby & she refused.
I spoke to her yesterday and is quite content to provide her own milk rather than formula.
Maybe, in this day and age - most mom's work so it is easier to extend their protection in pumping, & we can also blame the economy.
Maybe this is what we need to convince more mom's that breastmilk has so much value to it rather than formula.
Just food for thought.

Thanks for keeping an open mind,
Elaine Miranda, RN, CCE, IBCLC, RLC
New York