From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:07:15 -0500
At 05:09 PM 7/22/03, you wrote:
>I would add to the top of this list:
>        formula
>        bottle feeding
>        over active let down/over production
>I like to see management of breastmilk only (my dream), no bottles, small
>frequent feeds, tummy time after each feeding, less car seat time, decrease
>stress in house hold, infant massage, and then as needed meds.

Oh, Ann, what a wish list!

As I stated earlier my clients are breastfeeding and most exclusively.

You mentioned stress in the household.  I've wondered if it could be that
the mothers (and their mothers) were not nurtured at the breast (or
anywhere else).  I'll have to check my records on this.  In other animals
if a mother was not nurtured herself then she does not know how to cuddle,
feed, or hold the baby in a nurturing way.  This could certainly cause a
rise in the cortisol level in baby--stress!

The US has had at least 3 generations of bottle feeding accompanied by
increasingly more detached care-taking.  There are women here today who are
breastfeeding because it is the thing to do but they want to know on day 4
how soon they can give a bottle and when will baby sleep all night in her
crib, and, as one asked, "How long do I have to do this breastfeeding thing
in order to have maximum brain development?"

Now, some of them fall in love with their babies after a month or so and I
hardly recognize their comments.  But in those early weeks when GER begins
the babies don't feel that devotion that they are meant to feel.

There is stress and there is stress.  And to a baby there could be a lot of
chaos and lack of routine and upheaval but if mom's arms are safe what else
matters?

I'm still collecting contributions.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin