Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 14:30:10 PST
Many thanks to all those who replied to my question about whether a mother who had had
CMV could breastfeed her 5 week old baby who has also been identified as carrying the
virus. Your collective emphatic *yes!* thrilled her, and she has started to relactate.
The best thing is that the baby took to the breast like a pro. I had anticipated a lot
of had work teaching him to latch on and nurse, and was astounded to find that
he knew just what to do. A couple of minor adjustments to the mother's positioning, and
they were off and running. The mother has asked me to thank you all, from the bottom of
her heart.
BTW, when she first called me, I did read her the information I found in the brown bible
and the BAB. It was the ADDITIONAL response from so many lactnetters that persuaded her
that breastfeeding was safe.

Norma Ritter IBCLC
BREASTFEEDING MATTERS <[log in to unmask]>
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel