From:
Lynn Moony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 13:37:46 -2
We are struggling with this issue here.  The lines between
rich/poor, developed/developing, (add whatever words you use to
describe differences in socio-economic conditions) are really fudged
here.

A study in Soweto has shown that *with the necessary support and
information*, moms who are hiv+  can safely (relative term, I know)
bottle-feed when living in poor socio-economic circumstances.
Anyone who would like more information, could write to:  Dr Glenda
Gray, Perinatal HIV Research Unit, Baragwanath Hospital, PO Bertsham,
2013, SOUTH AFRICA.
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"The effect of breastfeeding on vertical transmission of HIV-1 in
Soweto, South Africa", Gray GE, McIntyre JA, Lyons SF.

Selected abstracts of papers presented by South Africans at the
recent International Conference on HIV/AIDS in  Vancouver, Canada can
be accessed via http://www.interchg.ubc.ca/aids11/index.html
(hope that's right, I'm not website-literate).

Hoping that someone is going to find a cure for this horrible
pandemic, Lynn.
Lynn Moony
Johannesburg, South Africa