From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:05:16 -0600
> From: Gael Young <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Is my memory correct - you were breastfeeding when you found the lump? I was
> told that it's very hard to read a mammogram when you're lactating, and I'm
> still bf'ing my dd. Maybe I should ask to be refered to the breast health
> clinic at BC Women's and see if they do mammo's there.

Oh, right, of course you're still breastfeeding. This is a VERY good reason
to ask for a referral to a clinician who is experienced with doing u/s
and/or mammogram on a lactating breast. Gael, you might want to do a search
of the lactnet archives on this subject to see if the discussions there shed
some light for you.  I recall reading that the u/s or mammogram films (is
that what they're called, films?) can be sent away to be read if there isn't
anyone locally who can do it.

Squishy and movable as you noted in your other post sounds like good news.

Statistically the very suspicious lumps that get diagnosed as cancer early,
because of course there is more urgency. Less suspicious lumps take longer
to diagnose, statistically. Of course, the co-relation is that most
less-suspicious lumps do not out to be cancer, where-as the suspicious ones
are more likely to be cancer

-- J