From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:26:51 -0500
Bad day for them to return my call, I guess. Lori, the marketing person,
called me a little while ago. Told me whatever it was she wanted to say, but
I kept finding reasons to interrupt with my own opinion...

You know, some of these mothers are feeding their babies straight cow's
milk. "Lori, there is no documented evidence that cow's milk is any better
or worse than infant formula."

Well, we got together with WIC, and discovered that they are so poor, they
just cannot afford infant formula, and rely on donations "Lori, that is all
the more reason why you should be supporting breastfeeding and lactation
services. They get a small donation today, but what do they do for the rest
of their baby's first year?"

These mothers are truly desperate. "Yes, I understand that. I also remember
seeing the images of the truly desperate mothers whose babies were dying in
the southern United States during the hurricanes which hit in the past few
years. There was a huge rush to donate formula to these babies, and they
died because of diluted formulas, dirty water, not enough to eat. And where
are the donations today? Does anyone even remember Rita? Jeanne? Katrina?
Ivan?"

<<giggle>> but we don't have hurricanes here! "Well, that's true. But, have
you had any ice storms or snow storms in recent times which froze pipes in
the house, so water was not available? Storms which prevented mothers from
getting to stores? Storms which prevented suppliers from getting to stores?
"  <<silence>>

Well, we're just a professional organization trying to help some people.
"Yes, and that is admirable. You have a lot of clout behind your name and it
would be nice to see you find a more worthwhile cause. The multi-billion
dollar formula industry doesn't need free advertising."

She grew frustrated, and I really wasn't in the mood to be politically
correct. She found a way to get off the phone, and I went back to reading my
history book.

As hard as she tried, she had no way of really convincing me that this was
such a great idea. And just because "someone on the Oprah show payed it
forward by using $1000 to buy formula" just doesn't cut it.

Best wishes,
Sam Doak

<<

[this is a promotion organizes by the fans of a state basketball team]
Lady Bucks Announce "Formula FastBreak"
http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html>>