From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:35:34 PST
Paula,
I like your attitude which shows by your statement "I am finding out how
much I don't know about bf." This is a great attitude to have - I have it
too - saying always that I have ALOT TO LEARN and my motto is live and
learn. So I predict you will become an excellent lactation
counselor/consultant.
Re the RN mom of the 2 month old. I think you are Right On track! The
problem seems to be (1) inhibited letdown which is very very common under
stressful, time limited pumping times; trying to pump during a lunch break
on a med-surg floor surely is stressful. To try to enhance the letdown she
could pump in the same location/chair w/ the same cup or mug to drink from
and gazing at a picture of baby or smelling his clothes or humming a song
she normally sings to him while bf. This helps to "condition" the letdown.
(2) I agree she will do much better w/ a "super-duper" pump like Medela
Lactina or Classic or Hollister Elite (I think) or she can hand express if
she chooses and is efficient w/ this method. If at all possible she should
express about the same times the baby would be nursing, i.e. probably about
every 2 or 3 hrs for a 2 mo old. If she cannot, she can expect that her
supply may drop during the days she is working and she can try to nurse like
crazy to build it back up. She can do reverse cycle nursing too which is to
feed the baby like crazy at nite, cosleeping of course, and trying for the
baby to take longer sleep intervals during the day while she is at work. If
she works say 2 days on, 2 off, 3 on 2 off, etc. this may be difficult to
do.  I don't know what her work schedule is , is she full time? Many RNs
work 12 hrs shifts, and if only pumping x1 this is not much. Is there ANY
WAY she can work less days or hours in a day until baby is older.? (3) I
have not had much success at all w/ herbs or prescription galactagogues
unfortunately. Good ole fashioned milk expression is the key I feel. Now, if
you have not ventured into our archives, now is the time to try. It is super
easy to do and provides immediate, vast results. Good luck.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC - lactnet veteran
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA