From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:40:41 -0400
> Read your reply to the question of iron in formula.  Wouldn't you want to
> use low iron formula to reduce the amount the baby is getting?  That's
> usually my approach if I need to supplement a baby.

The way I read it and understand it is that ANY formula or food inhibits
baby's use of iron present in breast milk.  Which leads to baby getting not
enough iron.  Why use low iron?  It would be an inferior replacement
amount.  Use regular iron fortified formula.  "Regular" formula iron
(poorly absorbed) is even better than low iron (also poorly absorbed). Also
in double blind studies iron has not been found to cause stomach aches or
constipation in infants. (Modern myth).  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ