Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:59:32 +0100
>  I simply wish that
>anyone who needed the milk would be able to get it, even if the fees involved
>are reasonable.

Why should anyone who needs EBM have to pay for it at all, via
insurance, or out of their own pocket?

It should be free to the user,  with the clearly expensive process of
screening and administering born by public funds.

I know I am speaking from the perspective of a country (UK) where
there is free health care which we take for granted (though even
here, mothers who want to use a breast pump may have to pay for it,
because the NHS doesn't 'do' pumps everywhere - and that's a
disgrace). I also know that the issue of free health care is
political, and way off-topic....but the idea of someone *selling*
their milk, someone else *buying it* and *someone else making a
profit out of it*.......aiiiiiii.  Can't stomach it, sorry : (

I'm not sure it should be prescribed, either. Medicalisation of
infant feeding was one of the things that got us into the mess we're
in now.  It would take years to equalise access to EBM if we waited
for all the medics to get on board. If you need it, you get it.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK