From:
"Helen M. Woodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:35:26 EDT
Carrying on the thread started by Rob on whether or not a baby should be
breastfeeding whilst receiving innoculation - Joy said,

<<Neil Campbell from Melbourne, Australia deals with babies in special care,
often with unusual malformations and very sick babies. He is a great believer
in
breastfeeding being an integral part of treatment, amongst all the
high-tech stuff, for these babies, and will go to extraordinary lengths to
ensure they are breastfed whenever possible. I recall him saying that they
have found that very ill babies who are breastfed require less pain
medication than if they are not breastfed.>>

Where on earth have I read that sucking is the baby's main way of making
endorphines, the body's own painkiller?  Or did I hear some eminent speaker at
a conference say this?  Clues, anyone !

kindest regards to you all,
Helen, NCT BrfC, Storrington, West Sussex, UK