From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:56:11 -0400
Dear Barrett, I agree  that training in BF mgmt  is very important and the
course content that I reviewed sounded really comprehensive.  It was a five
day total immersion sort of course.  I do think it is  important for
hospitals to provide training for their staffs.  The UNICEF 18 hour course
is a good place to  start and it can be done in blocks of 3 hours x 6 or 6
hours x 3.  Not everyone can spare 5 days and the cost involved, but
hospitals do   need to    be doing something to train staff and then keep
them   updated.

I don't believe that these nurses are planning to intentionally "sell
themselves"  as Lactation Consultants.  I am  just saying that to other
HCPs and the public the initials are too similar and can lead to confusion
and assumptions  on the part of others as to what CLC means.  I struggle
with this all  day every day correcting little kids and their parents who
call me Dr. Pat when I'm Nurse Pat!   Sincerely, Pat in SNJ